I arrived in front of the Embassy gate at 7:20am, which was twenty minutes before my appointment time. Surprisingly, there was already a queue. When it was time, all of us were allowed in one by one, after a security check. Right after we got into the building, we were told to sit in the waiting room. OMG I hate being in the waiting room! The waiting room is the one place that at some point, everyone has to pause. It is a room full of strangers that levels us and where we have a chance to reflect, to think and to worry. I didn't have my phone with me as mobile devices were not allowed in the compound, so I didn't have something to calm me down. My number was up. I told myself to relax and walked towards the interview room.
"Okay madam, you are now qualified to own our visa. If you feel like studying the states, you have to do another visa though, cause this isn't the same type of visa. So, you gotta apply for a new one if you feel like doing your post graduate studies in the States or a part time job after you graduate maybe? It will be good for you. I see that you'll do well there. You are now given ten years visa, so use it wisely! You're set to go, madam. Thank you." said the friendly, good looking American Ambassador.
He was smiling all the way and he even made jokes with me! It wasn't easy to laugh along with these people as there were cases that got rejected and questioned for a long time. It freaked me out as I witnessed it while waiting for my turn.
"Why do you think you are qualified enough to get this visa? Cause from where I see it, you and your family will stay in the States longer than you should. So, prove to me that you won't do so." said the Ambassador.
It was a group interview so the Dad replied, "Sir, my family and I are just going for a holiday, to travel around."
The Ambassador responded, "That's what they all say at first. But in the end, they'll leave their origin country and stay in the States. You're giving me a rough time here, sir. It seems to me you have nothing to lose if you do leave Malaysia."
Woah, they were very strict, I thought. Thankfully, my interview with the charming man went absolutely smooth. Besides being able to have a chat with a man who has thick American accent, I was officially legal to go to the states from now on! Yeepay!
I wasn't looking forward to go for this vacation before this but after being surrounded by people who have accent, I asked myself : What was I thinking?! Heaven's waiting for you in May, Anis!
